CANSKATE – Learn to Skate Programs
• Read more about Skate Canada’s CANSKATE program here.
• Ancaster Skating Club PreCAN & CANSkate Parent Handbook (Aug 2017)
• CANSkate Equipment – learn more about proper equipment for your skater on for their safety, comfort! 2 min video
The Ancaster Skating Club offers the opportunity for skaters of various levels to learn the basics of skating in accordance with the New Skate Canada CANSkate Program. Skaters are grouped according to skill level, and progress through six stages of learning. A portion of each session is spent in a group instruction format, provided by our Professional Skate Canada Certified Coaching Staff. Skaters work at their own pace, under the guidance and instruction of ASC Coaches and Program Assistants. Once all skills in a stage have been acquired, the skater obtains a Skate Canada badge, and continues working through the next level.
- Pre-CANSkate Program
For skaters 3 to 5 years old* and/or who have never skated or passed a PreCanSkate Program.
- Program designed for children who have not skated before.
- Taught in a group lesson format, includes a 10 minute “off-ice” pre-session warm-up.
- Teaches basic on-ice movement and pre-requisite skills for CanSkate.
Note: *Skater must be 3 years of age as of Sept 1st, 2018
Required Equipment (see the Parent Handbook) • CSA Approved Hockey Helmet, with full face mask • Skate guards, in the event of arena emergency, to ensure safe exit from the building.
- CANSkate Program
- Aged 4 or 5 (if passed PreCANSkate); or,
- Aged 6 and up who have never skated, or are working on CANSkate Stages 1-6.
The CANSkate program is taught in a group lesson format, and teaches basic skating skills to prepare skaters for figure skating, hockey/ringette, powerskating or speed skating.
Required Equipment (see the Parent Handbook) • CSA Approved Hockey Helmet, optional full face mask • Skate guards, in the event of arena emergency, for safe exit from the building.
- ADVANCED CANSkate Program
Offered to skaters by coach recommendation/invite only
A 50 minute coach led group session for skaters working toward completing Stage 6 and introduction to figure skating skills. Groups divided based on skill level.
Skater must also register for one other CANSkate session (e.g., skate twice per week as per letter of invite).
Required Equipment • Must have figure skates • CSA Approved Hockey Helmet • Skate guards, in the event of arena emergency, for safe exit from the building.