STAR Programs – Skills, Tests, Achievement, Recognition
The STARSkate program teaches figure skating skills in group and/or private lesson format. ALL STARSkaters must have a professional coach. Skaters have the opportunity to take Skate Canada tests through a nationally standardized testing system.
STARSkate Session Registration Guide
Skaters are asked to register for sessions that align with the average of their highest tests passed across all disciplines. For example a skater who has completed their STAR 1 Freeskate, STAR 3 Dance, and STAR 2 Skills would be considered a Star 2 level.
|STAR 1-3||Open to skaters who have passed Stage 5 CanSkate to STAR 3.|
|STAR 4+||Open to skaters considered STAR 4 or above.|
|STAR 2+||Open to skaters who are considered STAR 2 or above. Please note this session is not appropriate for STAR 1 or new STARSkaters.|
|STAR 1/2||Open to skaters who have passed Stage 5 CanSkate to STAR 2.|
|STAR 3/4||Open to skaters considered STAR 3 or 4.|
|STAR 5+||Open to skaters considered STAR 5 or above.Skaters aged 14+ considered STAR 4 may also register for this session.|
Off ice is an integral part of a skater’s training and development. Off ice classes have been bundled with On ice STAR sessions to facilitate this. For the Fall/Winter 2023-2024 season, the following off ice classes will be offered;
- Monday: Strength & Conditioning (Facilitated by a Certified Personal Fitness Trainer)
- Skaters will work on developing strength and cardiovascular endurance to allow them to have the strength and endurance to demonstrate various on ice skills
- Tuesday: Barre Workout & Creative Movement (Facilitated by a Barre and Dance Instructor)
- Skaters will continue to develop their coordination, mobility, and musicality. This will compliment skater development to interpretation of music, timing, and performance.
- Friday: Yoga & Flexibility for Skaters (Facilitated by a Certified Yoga Teacher and NCCP Skate Canada Coach) ** Skaters may choose to register for this off ice class if they are not skating on Fridays
- This class will focus on flexibility for figure skating, in addition ot body control and strength to master movements and positions in figure skating.
- Sunday: Jump Class for Skaters (Facilitated by an NCCP Skate Canada Coach) ** Skaters may choose to register for this off ice class if they are not skating on Sundays
- Skaters will have an opportunity to learn and practice proper jumping technique.
Updated August 15, 2023